Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Today's Meet

Trying to keep students focused during Documentaries is tough.  Getting them to engage with what is going on is even tougher.  I have used a website  www.todaysmeet.com for a couple of years and I love the results.   You need to get the COWS or IPADS.  First I log on and create a meeting window at TodaysMeet.  I make a new one for each class. i.e. Burford P3 etc.... It works best if each student has their own laptop but have partnered up before.   They follow directions and log on.   I also have logged in with each class.   The rules are quite simple.  For the rest of the period they are not to speak another word.  They are to watch the DVD and make comments, ask or answer other people's questions but typing in the blog.  This is how they communicate.  They are to be on task (you are monitoring on your own computer and helping when they get stuck with clarifications and such)  Once you put a lid on the silliness of getting started it really works pretty well.  They try to answer other people's questions.  It is amazing how smart some of these kids are.  What I require is every student must have 5-10 posts minimum.  What I have found is that this is a non-threatening way for kids to interact.  What they would not do in open class they will do when hiding behind the presumed safety of the internet.  Some of my normally least engaged students have really gone to town with this format.  The total understanding of the DVD has gone up since I began dong this.  You can also print out the entire typed transcript of each period.  This can come in handy when you need to bust someone for inappropriate comments on the blog.

Burf

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant Burford. The next time I show a film in my class I am give this a try. I love the idea that you can monitor what they are doing. In sixth grade monitoring would be important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it...I know we did something like this in the past but it seemed more cumbersome. This sounds very doable and our 6th grade students could use a lesson in keeping quiet!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete